Explore UAB

Banner Other

Icon-like image of a document with an award or ribbon attached to its lower right corner. An export of a controlled item or information that does not meet the criteria for an exclusion or exemption requires a license from the federal government. The license must be secured PRIOR to the transfer.

An application to the federal government for an export license must be submitted centrally through the University Compliance Office. University Compliance Office staff will work with faculty and departments to complete the appropriate application form and attach required supplementary documentation. 

It can take several months to prepare and submit an application for an export license and to receive feedback from the federal government. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to contact the University Compliance Office as soon as you believe an export control issue may exist or a license may be needed to export an item or information or work with a foreign national.