Explore UAB

Financial aid award packages may apply towards an approved credit-bearing program. Students may request award packages to be adjusted to reflect the costs of the program, allowing for full coverage of their time abroad.

You must be enrolled as a full-time student the semester you study abroad. To utilize your current aid package, you must complete the required items provided within your study abroad application. All items should be completed as soon as they are made available to ensure appropriate processing. You are encouraged to contact UAB Financial Aid to discuss specific details related to your financial aid package.

If you plan to utilize UAB scholarships, you must complete the required forms prior to the start date of your program.

  • Pell Grants

    Students receiving a federal Pell Grant can use these funds for their fall or spring semester experience. Students may have the ability to receive some Pell Grant for summer study abroad programs with the recent re-introduction of year-round Pell. Pell Grant recipients should consider applying for the Benjamin A. Gilman scholarship in addition to utilizing their Pell.

    Learn More →
  • Loans for Study Abroad

    Studying abroad is an investment in your future. Similar to how students may have to take out loans to be at UAB, students may choose to take out loans to support a study abroad. UAB Education Abroad encourages students to apply to all applicable scholarships to minimize loans. Students are encouraged to discuss loan options with the Office of Financial Aid.

  • Disbursement Timeline

    Once a student completes the necessary paperwork outlined in their study abroad application, Financial Aid will be disbursed to participants on the first day of the UAB semester or the start date of their program, whichever is later.

    Students who fail to complete the necessary paperwork on time may experience a delay in disbursement or loss of funds.

  • Affiliated Programs - Aid Alert

    Affiliate programs will likely require payment prior to your aid disbursement. Many affiliate providers will allow students to defer payment with appropriate proof of aid on file. Ask your affiliate provider for the appropriate forms and work with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to complete this form as soon as possible.

Back to Top