Explore UAB

Education Abroad at UAB encourages students to refer to their UAB account for billing records concerning their education abroad experience. Some general information about the IRS tax form 1098-T is provided below:

  • Does my Form 1098-T tell me everything I need to know for tax purposes?

    IRS Publication 970 defines qualified tuition and required fees as “tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at an eligible postsecondary educational institution, but not including personal, living, or family expenses, such as room and board.” Other examples of qualified and nonqualified expenses not reported on your Form 1098-T may include class fees for education abroad classes, off-campus housing expenses, and other fees you paid directly to your academic department or college rather than to UAB.

    Amounts for student health fees, transportation fees, insurance fees, and room and board are excluded from amounts reported on the Form 1098-T.You should rely on your own financial records and receipts to document those expenses. For further information on "qualified" education expenses, please review IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education.

  • Does my education abroad program provider issue 1098-T forms to students for tax purposes?

    Some program providers have the capability to provide Forms 1098-T for individual students. Students who would like a copy of their current account statements from their program providers should contact the program provider's Billing Coordinator to request a zero-balance account statement. For example, if you participated in a fall program in Costa Rica through USAC, please contact USAC to request a 1098-T form for that semester.

  • I participated on a faculty-led program through UAB. Where can I expect to see the tuition from this program reported?

    The tuition charges should be reflected on your Form 1098-T. However, if the charges are not reflected on your Form 1098-T, please refer to your UAB student account for specific tuition billing records related to your faculty-led program.

    The Education Abroad Office cannot provide advice regarding expenses related to your education abroad experience and their eligibly for tax write-offs. Please consult your tax professional for further information.

Back to Top