Training at UAB provides you the opportunity to pursue a variety of career choices. Approximately 70% of our residents enter subspecialty fellowships, with the remaining 30% entering various types of careers in general internal medicine. Each year, approximately half of our residents decide to stay at UAB for their fellowship training.

Class of 2021

Fellowship match rate: 96%
Percent applied to fellowship
: 73%

Cardiology

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (4)
  • Wake Forest (2)

Gastroenterology

  • Carolinas Medical Center (1)
  • Ohio State University (1)
  • Temple University (1)
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (3)
  • Vanderbilt University (1)

Global Health Fellowship

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (2)

Hematology/Oncology

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (1)
  • University of Colorado (1)
  • University of Virginia (1)

Infectious Diseases

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (3)

Pulmonology/Critical Care

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (1)
  • University of North Carolina (1)

Rheumatology

  • Medical University of South Carolina (1)
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham (1)
  • University of North Carolina (1)

Fellowship Match: Last 5 Years (2015-2020)

Allergy/Immunology

  • The Ohio State University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • Washington University in St. Louis

Cardiology

  • Baylor University
  • Cleveland Clinic
  • Emory University
  • Henry Ford Hospital
  • Houston Methodist Hospital
  • Loma Linda University
  • Medical University of South Carolina
  • NYU
  • Ochsner Medical Center
  • Ohio State University
  • St. Vincent Indianapolis
  • Tufts Medical Center
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Cincinnati
  • University of Florida
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of South Florida
  • University of Texas - Houston
  • Wake Forest University

Endocrinology

  • Northwestern University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Texas - Southwestern

Gastroenterology

  • Brigham and Women’s Hospital
  • Carolinas Medical Center
  • Emory University
  • Medical University of South Carolina
  • Ochsner Medical Center
  • Ohio State University
  • St. Louis University
  • Temple University
  • Tulane University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Arkansas
  • University of Louisville
  • University of South Alabama
  • University of South Florida
  • University of Tennessee - Memphis
  • University of Texas - Medical Branch
  • University of Texas - Southwestern
  • Vanderbilt University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University

Geriatrics

  • Duke University
  • Emory University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Washington

Hematology/Oncology

  • Fox Chase Cancer Center/Temple University
  • Moffitt Cancer Center/University of South Florida
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Colorado
  • University of Texas - Southwestern
  • University of Virginia
  • Vanderbilt University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University
  • Wake Forest University
  • Washington University in St. Louis

Infectious Diseases

  • Duke University
  • Massachusetts General Hospital
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • Vanderbilt University
  • Washington University in St. Louis

Nephrology

  • Emory University
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham

Palliative Care

  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Colorado

Pulmonology/Critical Care

  • Columbia University
  • Duke University
  • Emory University
  • Medical University of South Carolina
  • Northwestern University
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of Cincinnati
  • University of Illinois at Chicago
  • University of North Carolina
  • Vanderbilt University

Rheumatology

  • Cornell University
  • Medical University of South Carolina
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of North Carolina