Dorm RecyclingUAB students who live in the dorms have reusable plastic recycling bags, similar to reusable grocery bags, for collection of recyclable materials (paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, and aluminum cans) in their dorm rooms. These items may be taken to central collection receptacles in the laundry rooms of Camp, Rast, Denman, and Blount, or in the lobby of Blazer Hall. Recycling bags are distributed at the beginning of fall semester for dorm residents. To obtain a recycling bag at another time, please contact your Resident Assistant (RA).
The following paper items can be placed in the paper collection totes:
- Office paper
- Cardboard boxes (broken down and flattened)
- Phone books
- Other common paper items (paper bags, mail, envelopes, folders)
The UAB Recycling Center also has a drop-off area where you can take recyclable material from home or work. The Center accepts:
- Aluminum cans (soda, beer)
- Steel food cans (soup, tuna, etc)
- #1 and #2 plastic bottles, empty and rinsed (soda, water, detergent, milk, etc) **no plastic bags, plates, flatware
- Used cooking oil/grease. White shed at Drop-off Entrance. Empty jugs on top shelf, full jugs go on the bottom shelf.
UAB Recycling has partnered with Protec Recycling to provide electronics recycling. Some items may not be accepted at the recycling center, but can be taken directly to Protec Recycling. Protec Recycling assures that all collected materials will be contained and recycled in a manner that is environmentally safe. See the Recycling Brochure to learn more about how these materials are handled and for a full list of acceptable and unacceptable items.
City of Birmingham RecyclingFor information about recycling in non-UAB residences, please refer to this Birmingham Recycles brochure.
Explore Sustainability CurriculumFrom a minor in Peace, Justice, and Ecology to an Individually Designed Major, students at UAB can find Sustainability coursework in almost any discipline. Check out the Sustainability course listing here: http://www.uab.edu/sustainability/academics/courses
Support the Green InitiativeBe one of the UAB students working to develop a more sustainable community through projects, volunteer efforts, and awareness campaigns. For more information and meeting times, find them on Facebook.
Volunteer in the CommunityFind time to volunteer with one of the non-profit environmental groups listed on the bottom part of our Partners page, or similar entity.
Buy Local ProduceLocally-sourced produce is often fresher than items shipped from afar, supports local and self-reliant food economies, and fewer fossil fuels are burned because of the reduced transportation.
Be Energy and Water Wise!
- Report energy and water problems like leaky faucets to Campus Maintenance at 4-5353 or Hospital Maintenance at 4-6181.
- In the winter, open the shades in your area to let the sun in and help heat the building. In the summer, set the blinds to allow light in but not the sun’s rays to reduce building cooling needs.
- If you expect to be away from your area for more than 8 minutes, turn the lights off.
- Notify Energy Management at 5-7140 if you notice any outside lights on during the day.
- Turn computers, printers, copiers, etc off when not in use. Do not leave computers on with the screen saver.
- Avoid using space heaters, as are inefficient and may be a fire hazard. If you are having heating/cooling issues, call Campus or Hospital Maintenance.