tuskegee buildingHistory

Tuskegee was founded in 1881 by Dr. Booker T. Washington. Tuskegee attained University status in 1985 and has since begun offering its first doctoral programs in integrative biosciences and materials science and engineering. The College of Business and Information Sciences was established and professionally accredited, and the College of Engineering, Architecture and Physical Sciences was expanded to include the only Aerospace Engineering department at an HBCU.

Tuskegee University is a leading producer in the country of African-American engineering graduates in chemical, electrical and mechanical engineering. It is the only historically black college or university in the nation designated as the location for National Center for Bioethics in Research and Health Care. Tuskegee University is the home of a center for Plant Biotechnology Research which is training U.S. Scientists and students as well as scientists from Ghana, China, Nigeria, South Africa, Uganda, Egypt, and Tanzania to continue work of Dr. George Washington Carver in today's cutting-edge science and technology.

CCTS Partnership

Tuskegee University’s area of investigative expertise is their National Center for Bioethics in Research and Health Care. This is the nation's first bioethics center devoted to engaging the sciences, humanities, law and religious faiths in the exploration of the core moral issues which underlie research and medical treatment of African Americans and other underserved people. For training they offer mini-sabbaticals and ethics workshops.

Tuskegee University participates in the CCTS Executive Council. In addition to the panels, they spearhead major regional workshops in bioethics as part of the CCTS Training Academy. They are also instrumental in enhancing a more thorough understanding of cultural sensitivity in the implementation of clinical studies and trials.

To learn more about the research initiatives and resources at Tuskegee University, click here.