- Admission to the program is highly competitive. We follow an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity process to ensure applicants are evaluated on their individual merit. We typically admit 2-5 new students each year.
- Admission is only possible for the fall semester, for full-time studies, and for completing the doctoral program as no Master’s degree is awarded along the way. Deadline for all application material to be in the Graduate School is November 30. Application material is available at http://www.uab.edu/graduate.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test scores, including verbal, quantitative, and analytic writing scores.
- Research experience is essential. We prefer a solid background in psychology including courses such as statistics, research methods, behavioral neuroscience, physiological psychology, cognitive psychology, motivation and emotion, and learning. Coursework in chemistry and biology is also encouraged.
- A faculty committee reviews all applicants to identify a small number who will be considered more fully. Those applicants are invited for a campus visit in January or February.
Admissions to the Program follows the following review process: