The Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine offers third and fourth year medical students the opportunity to participate in a variety of clinical and research learning activities. Three clinical courses are offered to fourth year medical students in 2 or 4-week blocks. These include:
- Inpatient Anesthesia
- Anesthesiology Critical Care
- Chronic Pain/Cancer Pain Management
- Anesthesiology - VA Service
Additional courses offered include:
Medical students are expected to participate in the department activities during their rotation. These include:
- Morning Clinical Conferences which include Morning Report, during which a different attending anesthesiologists mediate a discussion, usually involving a case presentation, as well as Keyword Lectures, Mini-Mock Oral Exams, and Core Didactics.
- Grand Rounds which consist of a presentation of a topic of interest by either a departmental faculty member or by a Visiting Professor. Additional topics include Core Curriculum and Practice Management subjects which address basic learning needs and practical skills required for further development during training and practice.
- Continuous Quality Improvement Clinical Conferences during which residents and faculty mentors review and present a case or cases in which adverse events occurred, adverse events were avoided, or unusual or uncommon conditions developed.
- Medical Student Lectures typically involving a formal lecture followed by informal discussion about specific cases and other issues in anesthesiology.
- Meetings with the Vice-Chair for Education typically involving a casual lecture, and discussion about various topics, including anesthesiology techniques, ethical dilemmas in anesthesiology, anesthesiology residency programs, and post medical school training.
The Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine at UAB welcomes medical students' participation in our rotations and hopes that their experience is rich and very productive. We welcome your feedback to continue to improve our service to you.
For more information about these courses, please email Kim Harris, email@example.com, or Celia Keenan, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the Department of Anesthesiology, or call (205) 934-6525.
For course registration, non-UAB visiting students should visit the website:http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/future-students/visiting-students
UAB Students should contact Marla Ferguson, (205) 934-3821.