ApplicationREQUEST FOR PILOT AND FEASIBILITY GRANTS FOR BASIC AND CLINICAL STUDIES IN ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY
The UAB-UCSD O'Brien Core Center for Acute Kidney Injury Research (P30 DK079337) invites proposals for participation in the pilot and feasibility (P&F) studies involving the pathophysiology, basic mechanisms, therapeutic approaches, translational studies and clinical outcomes related to acute kidney injury (acute renal failure). The intent of this pilot program is to provide seed monies for researchers to obtain subsequent extramural funding. If funded, the proposed start date for the P&F grants will be August 1, 2015. Up to four pilot projects may be funded based on merit and availability of funding.
1. New independent investigators (Instructor or Assistant Professor) without current or past NIH research support at the R01 level. This funding opportunity is open to UAB/UCSD and non-UAB/UCSD investigators.
2. Established investigators who want to explore a novel idea related to acute kidney injury that represents a clear departure from the investigator's ongoing research efforts.
TERMS OF SUPPORT
1. Up to $40,000 per year in project-related direct costs can be requested for the P&F Study, including salary support and appropriate supplies. No indirect costs will be allowed.
2. The successful applicants will be required to submit a progress report at the end of the funding period. A second year of support is dependent on a competitive review of the progress made and resubmission of a research proposal.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
1. The initial application should not exceed two (2) single-spaced pages (1” margins, 11 size Arial font) and is due by Monday, 5 PM on April 13, 2015. The short application should include separate sections on overall objectives, specific aims and significance of the proposed research to acute kidney injury. In addition to the 2-page application, an NIH-style Biographical Sketch with Other Support should be included. Please submit as a single PDF document. Applicants should also include which O’Brien Center cores will be utilized. Please visit the Center website for information on services offered by the Cores (www.obrienaki.org).
2. Applicants whose initial proposals are judged to be meritorious and fulfill the other criteria mentioned above will be invited to submit an expanded application (5 pages for Specific Aims, Significance, Innovation and Approach) due by 5 PM June 15, 2015. These applications should use PHS Form 398, conform to the NIH instructions for submitting research grant applications, and must be submitted as a single PDF document.
APPLICATION DEADLINES AND DATES
* Initial application deadline: April 13, 2015 at 5 PM. Please send an electronic copy via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Decision on initial applications by May 11, 2015
* Full-length applications deadline: June 15, 2015
For additional information please contact Dr. Anupam Agarwal (email@example.com), Dr. Paul Sanders (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Ravi Mehta (email@example.com) or Dr. Kelly Andringa (firstname.lastname@example.org)