Explore UAB

Mission Statement

To assist veterans, service members, dependents, and survivors in capitalizing on military educational benefits and promote successful transition into an academic setting. To provide, facilitate, and coordinate programs and services to meet all special needs of this population to enhance their college life and fulfill their educational goals.

Undergraduate Admission Applications

Would you like to join the
UAB Student Veterans Association?




The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition

Public colleges and universities charge students an in-state tuition rate if they live in the same state as the school when they enroll and an out-of-state tuition rate if they live in a different state from the school when they enroll. In-state tuition is often a much lower rate than out-of-state tuition. And some schools offer the in-state tuition rate only if the student can prove they’ve lived in the state for at least 12 months before enrolling.

As a Veteran or dependent with transferred entitlement, you can get in-state tuition rates at many public schools even if you haven’t lived in the state where the school is located. Once classes start, you’ll need to be living in the same state.

Note: Under Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act, public schools that have VA-approved programs will receive GI BillR payments only if they offer in-state tuition to eligible Veterans and dependents.

Eligibility for in-state tuition

You may be eligible for in-state tuition if you meet all of these requirements:

  • You’re receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI BillR, the Montgomery GI BillR Active Duty (MGIB-AD), or Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E), and
  • You’re a “covered individual” (the next 2 sections explain what this means for Veterans, spouses, and children) and
  • When you start school, you live in the state where the school is located

Eligibility requirements for Veterans

As a Veteran, you’re a “covered individual” if you’ve served on active duty for at least 90 days since September 10, 2001.

Note: Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act covers you only after discharge, not while you’re still on active duty or while you’re a member of the Active Guard Reserve (AGR).

Eligibility requirements for spouses or children

As a spouse or child of a Veteran, you’re a “covered individual” if one of these is true:

  • You’re using education benefits transferred from a Veteran, or
  • You’re using benefits under the Fry Scholarship and the Veteran had served a period of active-duty service of at least 90 days before their death

Note: Starting August 1, 2022, if you’re using benefits through the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program, you’ll be eligible for in-state tuition rates.

View the Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020

All service members should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their military service prior to enrolling at The University of Alabama at Birmingham.