Explore UAB

UAB is proud to partner with the Veterans Administration to provide VA Yellow Ribbon benefits to qualified students.


Who is considered a "qualified student?"

  • Individuals with 100% entitlement to Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits
  • Undergraduate students (e.g., BA, BS)
  • Graduate Students
  • Child dependent of active duty service member or veteran who has transferred entitlement and who will not otherwise qualify for Alabama residency
  • Honorably discharged veterans

Who is not eligible?

  • Active duty personnel and their spouses
  • Child dependents of individuals with less than 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill entitlement or GI Bill Benefits other than Post 9/11
  • Alabama residents

What is covered?

  • UAB offers unlimited yellow ribbon benefits to both Graduate and Undergraduate students who meet the eligibility requirements.
  • The VA also pays all mandatory fees, a monthly housing allowance & a book stipend.
  • Students/families must fund all non-mandatory fees, such as room & board and parking.
  • Students who wish to be considered for need-based financial aid (grants, work-study, student/parent loans) to help with their share of the cost of attendance should complete the FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible. Federal financial aid guidelines allow need-based aid to be awarded even when VA benefits are in place.

What must I submit to be eligible for VA Yellow Ribbon benefits?

  • For child dependents who do not otherwise qualify for Alabama residency: Either proof of transfer of entitlement and a copy of VA Application 22-1990E or student's "Certificate of Eligibility."
  • Veterans eligible to receive the POST 9/11 GI Bill
  • Please submit your certificate of eligibility (COE) to VETERAN RECRUITMENT AND STUDENT SERVICES, HILL 313