Explore UAB

Admission FAQs

Key Pages

If your question is not answered below, contact us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

  • May I apply to the Ph.D. program without first having completed an M.S.?

    Yes, students who are interested in the Ph.D. program should apply directly to that program.

  • May I apply to the CS graduate program without a B.S. in Computer Science or Computer Engineering?

    Yes, if you have fulfilled the program prerequisites. Students who hold bachelors degrees in other fields may register as non-degree seeking graduate students in order to take the CS prerequisites.

  • What are the criteria for admission?

    Please see the webpages about M.S. admission and Ph.D. admission.

  • What are the minimum GRE/TOEFL/GPA scores that will be considered?

    Please see the webpages about M.S. admission and Ph.D. admission.

  • When will my application be reviewed for admission?

    Applications are reviewed as they are received. Depending on the time of year, it takes approximately one month to process an application after it is complete (GRE received, TOEFL received if appropriate, transcript received, letters received, etc.).

  • How many students are normally accepted into each program? What is the rate of acceptance?

    For the M.S. program, there is no a priori limit/acceptance rate. Applicants are accepted/rejected based upon their credentials.

    For the Ph.D. program, the number of offers depends on the number of new slots opened through graduation or new grant funding. There are always some slots each semester.

  • Is it necessary to take the Computer Science GRE Subject Exam?

    No, but if you do take it, please report your score to us as it may enhance your chances for admission and financial aid.

  • How do I transfer credits from another program/school?

    Previously earned graduate credit with a grade of B or above while enrolled at another regionally accredited graduate school may be eligible for transfer into the student's current degree program if it has not been applied toward another degree (either at UAB or elsewhere). All transfer credit requests must be initiated by the student and require the approval of the graduate program director and the Graduate School. Transfer of Credit forms are available on the Graduate School website. Completion of this form does not guarantee that the transfer credit will be granted. No more than 12 semester hours of graduate credit can be transferred to UAB. Once transfer credit has been approved, it will be included in the calculation of the grade point average in the student's current UAB program.

  • What should I do if my complete transcripts are not available by the application deadline?

    We expect this to be the case for all continuing students. You should submit the most up-to-date transcripts available along with a list of courses you are currently enrolled in. If admitted, it will be contingent upon providing a completed transcript once you arrive.

  • Where do I mail my transcripts and other documents?

    Please follow the application instructions on the UAB Graduate School website. You can mail documents to the Graduate School at:

    UAB Graduate School
    LHL G03
    1700 University Boulevard
    Birmingham, AL 35294-0013

  • How do I apply for financial aid?

    You do not need to formally apply for financial aid. All accepted applicants are automatically considered for financial aid.

  • Are M.S. students eligible for financial aid?

    Hourly paid TAship is available to top performing MS students. Please see Assistantships, Fellowships & Financial Aid for more information.

  • Are international students eligible for financial aid?


  • How important is it to identify research interests in the personal statement which accompanies my application?

    This is very important, as it will determine the faculty advisor you will be assigned to and how competitive your application is for financial aid. It is acceptable to have interests in more than one area, especially if there is documented research or project work in each area. It is rarely appropriate, and certainly not useful, to be interested in all areas.

  • Before or during the application process, should I contact faculty members whose research interests align with mine?

    You may contact faculty to learn more information about their research. Once admitted we will assign you a specific faculty advisor whose research interests are closest to those you have indicated on your application.

    Note: You should not ask individual faculty members for financial aid or send them a detailed resume. Such e-mail is considered spam. Financial aid is coordinated through the department, not individual faculty members. Incoming students are not supported on research assistantships as they enter.

  • Which courses are offered online?

    Visit the UAB Class Listing site, enter the term you want to search and 'CS-Computer Science' as the subject, and click 'Submit.' On the class list page returned by the search, those courses with a location shown as 'ONLINE' are online courses.

  • Can F-2 students take courses? Any restrictions?

    A student on an F-2 visa is allowed to study, but they cannot attend full time while they are still on the F-2 visa. Once they are ready to change to the F-1 status they will work with UAB's immigration office to file the appropriate paperwork. They can be in country and studying while this application is processed.

  • Where should I look for an internship?

    The UAB Career Center is revamping its online job search platform to make it easier for students to connect with employers and land the career of their dreams. Handshake – the Career Center’s new, fast and powerful recruiting platform for UAB students, alumni and employers – officially launched on August 18, 2019. Students and alumni can use Handshake to easily connect with employers, search for jobs and internships, discover event information and manage on-campus interviewing. Employers can use Handshake as a recruitment tool to identify qualified candidates for open positions and manage on-campus recruitment activities.

  • Do you provide application fee waivers?


  • Demystifying CS 598 and CPT

    I am a F-1 student in my final (graduating) semester. If I get an internship offer, can I take CS 598 as the only course in my final semester?

    NO, because CS 598 is not required to complete MSCS or MSDS degree requirements. F1 students are required to have some tie to campus and take at least one in-person class in their final semester.

    I am a F-1 student in a Spring/Fall semester (but not in my final semester.) If I get an internship offer, can I take CS 598 for 3 credit hours, plus another in-person class for 3 credit hours, and an online class for 3 credit hours to fulfill the minimum 9-credit hours requirement (6 or which must be non-online credit hours)?

    YES since CS 598 is NOT an online class.

    I am a F-1 student. Can I do an internship in the summer (my vacation semester) via CS 598 for more than 20 hours/week?

    YES. For on-campus jobs, there can be no more than 37.5 hours/week in summer. For off-campus jobs, typically

    I am a F-1 student and I have an on-campus job. If I get an unpaid internship offer during a non-vacation semester, can I continue to work at my job?

    YES. For on-campus jobs (paid or unpaid) no more than 20 hours/week during a semester total between the two.

    Can I do an internship via CS 598 for more than one semester/time?

    YES. Each time you need to register for at least 1 chr of CS 598 (no more than 3 combined credits of CS 598 and DS 697 can count towards an MS degree.) For 598, you may register for 1-3 credits.

    I am not a F-1 student. I understand that I don't need to register for 598 to do my internship. Can I still register for CS 598 for my internship/job directly related to my academic program?

    YES. No more than 3 combined credits of CS 598 and DS 697 can count towards an MS degree.

    I understand that no more than 9 credit hours of 5XX level coursework can count towards a MSCS or MSDS degree. Is 598 counted as a 5XX level course?


    I am a F-1 student and have an on-campus job offer. I understand that on-campus jobs/internships do not require CPT approval or registration of CS 598. Can I still apply for CPT and register for 598 credit hours?


    What is the process for enrolling in the CPT course, such as CS 598, for enrolled students seeking experience directly related to their academic program?

    1. Obtain an offer letter with detailed job responsibilities clearly outlined.
    2. Start and end dates should align as closely as possible with the semester's start and end dates.
    3. The pay rate and weekly work hours must be specified. In the case of an unpaid internship, it should be explicitly mentioned in the letter.
    4. If the internship is remote and not based locally, the offer letter should clearly state that it is a "remote" internship.
    5. Include comprehensive contact information for the HR department, including the HR representative's email address and phone number on the company's domain.
    6. Forward the email and the offer letter you received from your employer to the MS program director & manager. Once your offer letter is approved, register for CS 598 (at least 1 chr).
    7. (F-1 Students) send your registration proof and offer letter to Kathy (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and request a department letter.
    8. (F-1 Students) forward everything to ISSS for work authorization.

    How can I earn credit or pass my CS 598 course successfully?

    To earn credit or pass your CS 598 course, you must ensure that the manager or advisor of the student intern sends a one-paragraph evaluation directly to the program director (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) using their work email address. In this evaluation, they should describe the work performed by the student intern and assess how well the intern performed in their role.