Explore UAB

Commonly Requested Items

Records Requests

Updating your Personal Information

Returning Students

Contact Information

Admissions and Enrollment Management – 107 Volker Hall
Records: medschoolverify@uab.edu
Scheduling/Registration: scheduler@uab.edu
Away Rotations/Visiting Students: visiting@uab.edu

Name Change

  1. Log in to make your request.

  2. Bring a state-issued photo ID along with the following official documents to the SOM Records Office, 107U Volker Hall:

    • New social security card

    • Marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court papers

  • Name changes for active medical students should be made through SOM, not through UAB OneStop.
  • Name changes are only accepted for currently enrolled students.
  • MS4s: Your diploma is issued in your official name as recorded in the SOM Student Portal. Name changes after diplomas are ordered (typically a month before diploma date) incur a $25 re-order fee. Name changes cannot be made after your diploma date.
 Other name change considerations


USMLE Step Exams


  • Check with the Student Services office on your campus for guidance about the timing and consequences of a potential name change in these systems. 

Alabama Driver's License

  • If you have changed your name, you must visit a local probate or licensing office, or visit an ALEA Driver License Office to be issued a duplicate license at the normal duplicate fee.
  • For a name change, you will need to present valid name change documents (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order or legal name change document), along with proof that your name has been changed with the Social Security Administration. See the ALEA website for specific instructions.

Every gift helps us make a difference

Support the critical work of our faculty, staff, and trainees so we can continue providing the highest level of care to our patients and make breakthroughs in research and discovery.