The Office of Research & Scholarship
Who We Are
The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing, through the Office of Research & Scholarship (ORS), is committed to a leading role in nursing and healthcare research and scholarship through diverse funding mechanisms including the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Defense, Health Services Research Administration, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Veterans Administration Nursing Academy, and Komen for the Cure among others. Further, the School of Nursing and the ORS are committed to excellence in building collaborative partnership initiatives within the academic health science center at UAB and in establishing other innovative partnerships that advance our mission related to education, research and scholarship, and professional service/practice. Integral to all aspects of the CORS are faculty, students, and staff. Developing and supporting the next generation of nurse scientists, educators, and scholars that create and improve tomorrow is a central part of the ORS's mission.
What We Do
The Office of Research & Scholarship provides leadership and oversight for the following initiatives:
- Provision of a well-established and solid administrative infrastructure by which to seek out and secure funding among novice to seasoned SON investigators
- Guidance with the preparation of research proposals and submissions
- Serve as a liaison/point of contact with the UAB Office of Sponsored Research Programs and the external funding agencies
- Guidance in pre-award and post-award grant and project management
- Provide development enrichment programs to support faculty across the School's missions
Since 1979, the ORS/CNR has actively engaged in facilitating those research partnerships and continues into the present-day in by supporting our faculty as leaders in nursing research and scholarship. The SON faculty are partners in a wide scope of inter-disciplinary research including, but not limited to, interventions to improve transitional care in chronic illness, interventions to improve outcomes via health education/promotion, tele-health interventions in disease management and health promotion, reduction of obesity in children and adolescents, patient safety strategies to improve the practice environment, and partnerships for education research coordination.
Ever mindful to stay focused on our vision - to be a dynamic and innovative research leaders, the leadership and staff within the ORS strive to be responsive to the needs of our faculty and to assist in creating partnerships that results in the successful conduct of the research and to raise the quality of health care while expanding the educated nursing workforce in Alabama and worldwide.
As we look ahead to the next few years- we will be working towards fulfilling the goals of our 2012-2017 strategic plan;
- To Expand mechanisms to recognize and celebrate the scholarship of faculty, students, alumni, and partners
- Increase leadership roles of UAB Nursing faculty in UWIRCs
- Recruit and retain faculty with established programs of research
We invite you to spend some time exploring our website and getting to know us!
Karen Meneses, PhD, RN, FAAN
Professor and Associate Dean for Research