UAB's TRIO Academic Services (TAS) is a Student Support Services program that is a part of a network of TRIO programs fully funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The mission of TAS is to provide academic and personal support to help participants be successful as they pursue their educational goals at UAB.
To participate in TAS, you must apply and be accepted to the program. TAS accepts new students into the program each fall semester. TAS New Participant Applications are available from April 1 to July 15 of each year. An application can be downloaded by clicking on the link below (this link will only be active from April 1 to July 15) or can be picked up from our office during this time period. Applications are also mailed to all conditionally-admitted students accepted to UAB between April 1 and July 1. The application deadline is August 25.
TRIO Academic Services provides continuous support
Throughout your freshman and sophomore years, TAS provides continuous intensive support that is available whenever you need it. You can also take advantage of these free services during your junior and senior years, but typically less assistance is needed then.
The following are just a few of TAS’ valuable services:
- One-on-one assessment of your needs by TAS staff each semester
- Midterm monitoring of your progress so that TAS can adjust services to meet needs identified by instructors
- Close monitoring to ensure you meet financial aid requirements
- Tutoring assistance
- Help with developing good study skills
- Academic, career, personal, financial, and graduate school counseling
- Assistance with preparation for graduate and professional school entrance examinations; and additional services based on your individual needs.