You must login to the UAB Learning System and once again register for the next available class for Defensive Driving Training – OHS DDC101.
New employees that drive a UAB vehicle as part of their job should take the Defensive Driving Class within 90 days of employment and every three years after that.  You must register for Defensive Driving Training – OHS DD101 through the UAB Learning System
You may drive UAB sedans, pickup trucks and SUVs for the 90-day grace period after employment, but it is recommended that you complete the Defensive Driving class as soon as possible.  You may NOT drive a 15-passenger van until you complete the Defensive Driving Training - OHS DD101 course.  You must register for Defensive Driving Training – OHS DD101 through the UAB Learning System.
New employees that drive a UAB vehicle as part of their job should take the Defensive Driving Training Class within 90 days of employment and every three years after that. You must register for Defensive Driving Training – OHS DD101 through the UAB Learning System.
That is up to your insurance carrier.  When you successfully complete the Defensive Driving Class you will be mailed a certificate. You may provide a copy of that certificate to your insurance company when requesting a discount.

There are several options for getting safety information about chemicals.
  • Read the container label – the very best source of quick information about a material is the label. Basic hazard information and a contact address, website or phone number must be available on commercially prepared labels. If a user re-labels a container, or labels a temporary container, they must put the chemical name and main hazard on the new label.
  • Look up the material on a chemical distributor's website, for example: Sigma-Aldrich , or Fisher.
  • Access the ChemWatch system from UAB campus through this link: https://jr.chemwatch.net/chemwatch.web/account/autologinbyip
  • Contact EH&S and ask Chemical Safety to provide you with a Safety Data Sheet or other chemical information.
  • Use a search engine to perform a web search for information
If the broken glass IS contaminated with biologicals then it must be disposed of as a sharp in a sharps container. If the broken glass is NOT contaminated with biologicals then place the glass in a heavy cardboard box, tape it securely and label the outside of the box “broken glass”. Place the box for regular trash pickup via Environmental Services.
Light bulbs and fluorescent tubes are considered Universal Waste and are regulated. They are handled by UAB Maintenance and the UAB EH&S Support Facility. Please contact 934-3797 for additional information.
All medical waste is managed by Stericycle. If you have pick-up questions contact Mark Mixon with Stericycle at 404-362-9313. If you are not sure what should be disposed of as a sharp you can contact EH&S at 975-4341.
Environmental Services has access to the hand sanitizer stand refills. Contact the appropriate supervisor for your building and request refills.
The Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1971 (OSHA) was created to provide U.S. workers with a safe working environment. OSHA is administered through the Department of Labor that regulates safety for most non-governmental workplaces in the U.S., but many states have their own OSHA laws. UAB has the Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) that provides internal oversight to the UAB community and whose mission is to ensure that our faculty, staff, students, patients, and visitors have a safe workplace by providing them with the service and knowledge necessary to protect themselves, the UAB community and the environment.
The Department of Environmental Health & Safety provides health and safety oversight to UAB and was organized to develop control programs for several areas:
  1. Environmental health and safety
  2. Radiological health and safety
  3. Biological safety
  4. Chemical safety
  5. Asbestos abatement
  6. Hazardous waste management
  7. Education and training
  8. Environmental management
  9. Emergency Management
EH&S uses the applicable OSHA standards as a minimum requirement for workplace safety.
If you have symptoms of a chemical exposure such as dizziness, eye or respiratory irritation, warn others and leave the area immediately then call EH&S at 934-2487 from an unaffected location. Otherwise take a moment to gather some preliminary information, and then call EH&S. To provide the best service to you, we will need to know:
  • The location of the problem – building, room and any other details – in a cabinet, near a vent etc.
  • As precise a description of the odor as you can give – is it sulfur-like, is it solvent like, is it a chemical you recognize?
  • When the odor started – call sooner rather than later, so we have the best chance of tracing the source.
  • If an unusual process or activity is occurring in your area – is there construction, painting, or a new experiment?

An important note about odors: When reporting "gas" odors please distinguish between natural gas, with a sulfurous, mercaptan odor, and gasoline with a characteristic solvent odor. The required response to these materials is different.

Occupational Medicine
Currently, flu shots are given through EH&S Occupational Medicine to Campus Employees whose work would warrant vaccination. Since this is determined by enrollment in the Employee Health Program, enrollment is required.
Enrollment must be updated at least every two years.  Additionally, an enrollment update is required if you change jobs or your work exposures change.

The OHS_BIO500 Bloodborne Pathogens training class must be taken upon employment and then on an annual basis unless regulations change.
CS101 Chemical Safety Training is required once. Taking it annually as a refresher is recommended.
The CS055 Hazardous Waste Handling & Packing Course is required annually for those individuals that handle or pack hazardous waste.