Photo: American Flag & Veterans Hospital

FAQ – UAB Veterans CAN! (VCAN!)

Applying to the VCAN! Program

Q: What are the admission requirements for VCAN?

Admission requirements for the VCAN! program are: 1) completion of a minimum of eight pre-requisite courses with a minimum 2.75 pre-nursing and cumulative GPA; 2) Admitted to UAB prior to applying to the VCAN program; 3) meeting with a pre-nursing academic advisor; and 4) completion of the VCAN application.

Q: How do I obtain an application and brochure for the VCAN?

Contact the VCAN Program Director Dr. Rhonda McLain,

Q: How long does it take to be accepted to the VCAN! program?

Typically, it will take approximately 1 to 2 weeks after you have been admitted to UAB.

Q: Can I apply to the VCAN program if I do not have an MOS in the medical field?

Yes. If you are serving or have served in the military, you can apply to the VCAN program. This includes the National Guard and Reserves.

Q: I am applying to the Nurse Enlisted Commissioning Program (NECP), whom do I contact to assist with the signed academic plan and letter of acceptance to the BSN program?

The Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor can assist you with all paperwork. You are required to be accepted to UAB and have completed all pre-requisite coursework with a 3.0 or higher pre-nursing and cumulative GPA prior to receiving an acceptance letter and academic plan for the BSN program.

Q: Can I hold a full-time job while being in the VCAN program?

While completing the pre-nursing coursework you can be a full-time or part-time student. Once you enter the BSN program you will be a full-time student attending classes on campus. Working full-time is strongly discouraged.

Pre-Nursing Coursework

Q: What are the pre-nursing course requirements?

Q: How much credit will I receive from my Joint Service Transcript (JST)?

UAB main campus evaluates the JST after all other coursework has been transferred and articulated. The Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor will not be able to determine which military courses will transfer to UAB.

Q: Am I required to take my pre-Nursing course work at UAB?

No. Pre-Nursing Coursework can be taken at any accredited college or university. The Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor can assist you with determining if courses will transfer to UAB. Please check with us before taking any courses to ensure those courses meet the UAB pre-requisite requirements.

Q: How often should I submit a copy of my unofficial transcripts to the VCAN program?

In order to confirm your academic alignment for applying to the BSN program, submitting an unofficial transcript at the end of each semester will help the Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor ensure you apply to UAB and the BSN program at the appropriate time. Include the university or college name as listed on the unofficial transcript (may write name of institution on the unofficial transcript). Official transcripts must be sent to and received by the university prior to being able to submit an application to the School of Nursing.

Q: If I am not taking the Pre-Nursing course work at UAB, how can I be sure my courses will transfer to UAB before I pay for those courses?

The Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor can assist with determining if courses will transfer. Recommend you contact the advisor a semester before you plan to take the courses, be sure to provide where you plan to take the courses, course numbers, and course name.

Q: Will UAB accept on-line labs?

You must have a lab for all your science courses including chemistry, anatomy, physiology, and microbiology, but UAB will not accept on-line labs.

Q: Can I substitute biology for chemistry?

Inorganic chemistry is required; however, biology can be substituted or organic chemistry. You will need contact the Pre-Nursing Academic Advisor to assist with confirming which courses can be substituted.

Applying to UAB

Q: When do I apply to UAB?

It is best to apply to UAB 6 -12 months prior to the application deadline for the BSN program. NOTE: There is another, different application to the BSN program – you will need to complete both. You must be admitted to UAB prior to applying to the VCAN program.

Q: I am a US Citizen with a degree/ coursework outside of the United States. Can I apply to the VCAN program?


Course transcripts will have to be evaluated. Reports must be sent from the evaluators directly to the School of Nursing. Additionally, international students must provide (as part of their student application) a detailed course-by-course evaluation of all international transcripts prior to consideration for admission. The School of Nursing does not evaluate international transcripts; therefore, an outside firm approved by UAB must evaluate the transcripts. The cost of transcript evaluation is the responsibility of the applicant. Listed below are the two companies that can evaluate your transcript(s).

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470 USA
Phone Number: (414) 289-3400
Fax: (414) 289-3411

World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087 USA
Phone Number: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100

The course work must then be articulated into the university. This step requires syllabi and course outlines for each course in order to determine the course equivalency. These documents must be submitted in English.

Go to this webpage for more information for international students:

BSN Admission Requirements

Q: Once accepted to the VCAN program, am I automatically accepted to the BSN program?

No. You are still required to apply to the BSN program just like any another student. The application deadlines are posted at

Q: What are the admission requirements for the BSN program?

Your nursing education at UAB begins with the foundation courses in the arts, sciences, and humanities that provide the base for the upper division courses in nursing during the junior and senior years. A minimum grade of “C” in the pre-nursing courses and an overall GPA and a pre-nursing course GPA of at least 2.75 is required apply for admission. Meeting the minimum requirements does not constitute admission into the nursing program. More information can be found at and

Q: Does VCAN accept students for the RN Mobility Program?

No. Unfortunately the VCAN program is only for the entry-into-practice BSN program

Q: Can VCAN students apply for the Accelerated Masters in Nursing Pathways (AMNP) track?

No. Unfortunately the VCAN program is only for the BSN program

Q: What are the admission requirements for the 2nd Degree BSN program?

  • Requirements for application to the School of Nursing for second degree students include:
    • Bachelor’s degree (120 hours of coursework) from an accredited institution
    • Admission to UAB
    • Advisement through a UAB Advisor
    • Minimum grade of “C” in the pre-nursing foundation courses (32 hours)
    • Pre-nursing foundation course GPA of at least 2.75 and an overall GPA of 2.75
    • OR
    • Pre-nursing foundation course GPA of at least a 2.75 and a GRE General Test score of:
    • Combined score of 297 on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
    • 4 or better on the analytical writing skills portion
  • Additional information can be found at: and

BSN Program

Q: When does the BSN program start?

The BSN program admits students in the Fall (August) and Spring (January) terms, for 5 semesters:
  • Fall – Spring – Summer – Fall – Spring
  • Spring – Summer – Fall – Spring - Summer

Q: Can I be a part-time BSN student?

No. The track is “lock-step.” All entering students proceed as a class through the track to graduation