Explore UAB

Contact Us

Note: If within 60 days you are not notified of an arrest in your case, you may call the telephone number of the law enforcement agency for the status of the case.

Emergency Contacts

The UAB (University of Alabama at Birmingham) Police and Public Safety Department has started a new unit dedicated to further supporting crime victims. The unit utilizes a newly designed soft interview room which supports victim healing and recovery while mitigating victim trauma during the interview phase. 

The Victims Assistance Unit, started and led by UABPD Sergeant Michelle Cowan is designed to provide support, services, and resources to the UAB community including faculty, staff, students, visitors, and patients. These services and community-based resources will be provided to victims of a crime, survivors and nonvictims seeking resources for friends, colleagues, peers, or family members. 

The UAB Police & Public Safety Department routinely conducts various educational programs to make both students and employees aware of and to attempt to prevent sexual assault. The following are some of the programs conducted by the department: safety and security programs during freshman orientation, sexual assault programs for groups of students throughout the year, concentrating on the student residences, Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) Courses, self-defense and avoidance courses, alcohol and drug awareness programs, generalized safety and security programs, concentrating in the residences, fraternities, and sororities, and other personal protection programs designed for traveling faculty and staff.

This information is provided in accordance with the provisions of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998.

One of the UAB Police & Public Safety Department's highest priorities is to ensure that a victim of any crime receives the greatest possible attention, in order to foster the least amount of negative impact of the crime against the victim or his/her family. In order to accomplish this, the UAB Police & Public Safety Department takes every step possible to meet the needs of the victim in accordance with all federal, state, and local guidelines as well as utilizing all available resources for assistance.

For more information about the unit and the resources provide, please contact Sgt. Cowan 205-934-4434 at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • What Should You Do If You Are The Victim of a Sexual Assault?

    After an incident of sexual assault, the victim should consider seeking medical attention as soon as possible at the Rape Response and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Facility, called Rape Response at (205) 323-7273. In Alabama, evidence may be collected even if you chose not to make a report to law enforcement. If you are on or near the UAB campus, you may contact the UAB Police at (205) 934-3535, and the dispatcher will notify a police officer who will transport you to the local rape crisis center, SANE Facility. If you are off-campus and need assistance, contact local law enforcement by dialing 911. University personnel will assist the student in notifying these authorities, if the student requests the assistance of these personnel.

    Again, you may contact Rape Response directly at (205) 323-RAPE (7273). This is a 24-hour confidential hotline. At Rape Response/SANE, you will receive a range of free and confidential services, including a medical examination, forensic evidence collection, medical advocacy, crisis counseling, and legal advocacy services. A qualified physician or nurse will examine you for injuries and collect physical evidence that could be used in proceedings, if you decide to prosecute. It is important that a victim of sexual assault not bathe, douche, smoke, change clothing or clean the bed/linen/area where they were assaulted if the offense occurred within the past 96 hours, so that evidence may be preserved that may assist in proving that the criminal offense occurred or may be helpful in obtaining a protection order. In circumstances of sexual assault, if victims do not opt for forensic evidence collection, health care providers can still treat injuries and take steps to address concerns of pregnancy and/or a sexually transmitted disease. Victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, and dating violence are encouraged to also preserve evidence by saving text messages, instant messages, social networking pages, other communications, and keeping pictures, logs or other copies of documents, if they have any, that would be useful to University hearing boards and/or investigators or police.

    As time passes, evidence may dissipate or become lost or unavailable, thereby making investigation, possible prosecution, disciplinary proceedings, or obtaining protection from abuse orders related to the incident more difficult. If a victim chooses not to make a complaint regarding an incident, he or she should consider speaking with UAB Police or other law enforcement personnel to preserve evidence in the event that the victim changes her/his mind later.

  • What the "System" will do for you if you are a victim
    • You will be given complete attention and care by the UAB Police and the University in assisting you in overcoming your being a victim.
    • You will be advised of all the professional protocols taken before they occur and each will be explained to you as they occur to ensure you remain comfortable and knowledgeable of the criminal justice system.
    • An Investigator or a Victim's Assistance Officer (usually a female Officer) and other professionals will be assigned to your case to ensure it is expeditiously carried out and handled in the most supportive, sensitive and empathetic manner as possible.
    • Your department employs trained Victim Witness Coordinators that are available to help you should you become a victim. We are a Department fully committed to community policing, education and social programming.
    • "To be or not to be..." should not be the question when it comes to being a victim. Be proactive and aware and join us in minimizing crime. Join us in making UAB a safe place to work, live and play.
  • Victim's Rights

    You have and may request the right to notification about:

    • All criminal proceedings and charges filed against the defendant, with the exception of initial appearance, and the right to be present at all proceedings:
    • To necessary information regarding the appropriate agencies from which you may request information and assistance;
    • To an explanation of the pre-sentence report, a right to make a written or oral statement to the probation officer, and a right to review the pre-sentence report;
    • To be notified of the time and place of any sentencing hearing and to make a statement, or present any information at a sentencing proceeding or any other proceedings as authorized by law;
    • To information regarding the return of any property taken;
    • To be provided the date of conviction, acquittal or dismissal of charges against the defendant and the sentence imposed;
    • To refuse an interview or other communication by the defendant, his attorney or anyone acting on his behalf;
    • The status and results of any post-conviction appeal;
    • To be provided a waiting area separate from the defendant, his relatives and defense witnesses if available and practical;
    • To submit a statement to be entered into the prisoner's records;
    • To be notified of release, on bond and from prison, escape, re-arrest or death of prisoner;
    • To information regarding collecting of restitution;
    • To release opinion by the Alabama Department of Mental Health;
    • To be notified of any hearings by the Board of Pardons and Paroles and the right to be present and hear such hearings.

    As a crime victim, you may be entitled to compensation from the Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission. You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:

    • You have been the victim of personal injury as the result of criminally injurious conduct.
    • You are the dependent of a deceased victim, if such victim died as a result of this crime.
    • You did not cause or contribute to the injury or death of the victim.
    • An application is filed within one year of the incident.
    • The incident was reported to law enforcement within 72 hours.
    • You cooperated fully with law enforcement officials.
    • Your economic loss has not been paid by other sources.

    For Additional Information Contact
    Alabama Crime Victims Compensation Commission

    P.O. Box 1548
    Montgomery, Alabama 36102-1548
    (800) 541-9388 or (334) 242-4007

  • Warrant Information

    The procedures you must take in order to obtain a warrant for someone who has committed a crime against you are as follows:

    1. Obtain a copy of the police report from the police department which investigated your incident. This can be accomplished by presenting the case card which was given to you by the investigating police officer. Take the case card, which has your case number on it, to the Police Records Division, to obtain a copy of your report.
    2. With a copy of your report, appear before the magistrate, along with any witnesses, to have a warrant issued. The City of Birmingham Magistrate's office is open 24 hours-a-day throughout the year. The city's magistrate has authority only for misdemeanor offenses which took place in Birmingham. The office is located at 425 6th Avenue South. For questions concerning a warrant, call (205) 254-6514.
    3. Warrants concerning a felony must be filed with the Jefferson County District Court (801 21st Street North). For questions concerning felony warrants, call (205) 325-5252.
    4. Complaints concerning juveniles must be filed with the Jefferson County Family Court (120 2nd Court North). For questions concerning offenses committed by a juvenile, call The Deputy District Attorney Juvenile Court, (205) 325-5480.

    Threats or Intimidation:
    If the offender THREATENS or INTIMIDATES you: Please contact the detective assigned to your case, contact the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office for adult offenders, or the Jefferson County Juvenile Court for juvenile offenders.

  • Law Enforcement's Duties to Victims

    Within 72 hours after reporting a crime, the local enforcement agency assisting you shall provide the following at your request:

    • A list of local emergency and crisis services available.
    • The name and telephone number of the agency and officer handling your incident.
    • The name and telephone number of the prosecuting attorney.
    • The procedural steps in a criminal prosecution.
    • The availability of victim's compensation benefits.
    • A listing of your rights as a victim, including a form to invoke these rights.
    • The existence of and eligibility requirements for restitution and compensation.
    • A recommended procedure if you are subject to threats or intimidation as a victim.




(205) 934-4434