Explore UAB

Legal and Preferred name changes are available through the One Stop. Learn more about the required documentation and processes for each type of change below.

Legal Name Change

If you need to change your legal name, you must submit the following documents to One Stop, either in person in Hill Student Center Suite 103, via email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or via fax at (205) 975-2300:

  • A completed Name Change Request form (PDF)
  • A valid government-issued photo ID
  • Documentation of legal name change, such as:
    • Marriage Certificate
    • Divorce Decree
    • Court Order
    • Social Security Card
    • Birth Certificate
    • or Passport (for international students)

Request a Name Change

Preferred Name Change

You may set a preferred name through BlazerNET to identify yourself within the UAB community. Your preferred name will appear instead of your legal name in university related systems and documents except where the use of your legal name is required by university business or legal need.

Preferred Name FAQ


  • What is a Preferred Name?

    A preferred name is a name that you choose to be called that is different from your legal name. UAB allows you to do this by setting a preferred name through your BlazerNET account. When you select a preferred name, it will appear instead of your legal name on key documents your instructors use such as course rosters and final grades. Your legal name will continue to appear where required by university business or legal need (e.g., academic records, transcripts, financial aid and scholarship documents). To request an official name change for your first name or family/last name, you must present appropriate legal documentation (marriage certificate or court order, along with photo ID) at One Stop Student Services. We are reviewing additional ways that preferred name may be incorporated in items such as Canvas, the ONE Card, as well as other software systems.

  • Who can set a preferred name?

    Preferred names are set using BlazerNET, therefore, only you can set, change and/or delete your preferred name.

  • How do I set my preferred name?

    You may set your preferred name through BlazerNET.

  • Do I have to enter a preferred name?

    No, you do not have to enter a preferred name. This service is for students who wish to be known by something other than their primary legal name.

  • How do I correct or change my legal name?

    You can bring name change documentation (such as a court order or driver’s license) to the One Stop office.

Feedback/Need Help?

Can’t find what you’re looking for or need assistance from One Stop Student Services? Contact us at onestop@uab.edu or (205) 934-4300.