Financial aid awards cover the fall and spring semesters only, unless your degree program requires summer enrollment. If you think you’ll attend a summer session, you should budget your award to cover summer expenses. Very limited funding is available for summer semester.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
First, complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov. The UAB School Code is 001052.
Create your FSA ID to electronically sign your (or your child's) FAFSA at FSAID.ed.gov. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) at fafsa.gov.
If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID in order to sign your child's FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address.
You will be notified by the US Department of Education when your FAFSA has been processed. You should receive the results in approximately 3-5 days.
- All first-time borrowers of a Federal Direct Loan must complete entrance counseling and sign a master promissory note prior to receiving funds. A first-time borrower is a student who doesn’t have an outstanding Federal Direct Subsidized Loan or Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. First-time borrowers fulfill the entrance-counseling requirement and sign the master promissory note online at www.studentloans.gov.
You’ll receive additional information when your award is finalized. Currently enrolled students will accept awards on BlazerNET, UAB’s secure online portal to help you manage your personal and academic information.
- Parents of dependent undergraduate students or graduate students borrowing on their own behalf who wish to apply for a Federal Direct PLUS loan should complete the application process and promissory note at www.studentloans.gov. You must also complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before a Federal Direct PLUS loan can be processed.
- If you are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education you will be required to submit the following documents so UAB can verify the information you supplied on the FAFSA. [You can determine if you have been selected by reading your Student Aid Report (SAR) or contacting the aid office.] We recommend you submit all required documentation at least 45 days prior to the beginning of the term to ensure your eligibility for federal aid can be reviewed. All verification items must be complete and reviewed prior to end of the student’s enrollment during the award year.
- The preferred way to complete your verification requirement is to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool at www.fafsa.gov to transfer your tax return information directly onto your FAFSA.
- If you choose not to use, or cannot use, the IRS Data Retrieval Process, you must submit applicable IRS Tax Return Transcripts to UAB. These transcripts can be requested at www.irs.gov or by calling the IRS automated system at 1-800-908-9946. Please be sure to provide the student’s Blazer ID number when submitting the form.
- Dependent students must submit IRS Tax Return Transcripts for themselves as well as the parents identified on the FAFSA.
- Independent students must submit IRS Tax Return Transcripts for themselves, and a spouse, if married.
- All selected students must complete the Verification Worksheet, available through BlazerNET. Independent students may submit the completed form through BlazerNET. Dependent students must print the form and obtain the parents’ signatures prior to submitting the document
- If you, your spouse, or your parents have not yet filed a Federal Income Tax Return, you must submit the following:
- A copy of your Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (IRS Form 4868)
- A copy of IRS Form W-2 for each source of employment income received for the previous tax year or a signed statement by a self-employed individual certifying the amount of the AGI and the income tax paid for the previous year
- If you, your spouse (if married independent student), and your parents (if a dependent student) did not file a Federal Income Tax Return and are not required to file, you must submit the applicable IRS Form W-2 for each person for each source of employment income received for the previous tax year. Income information for non-tax filers must also be provided on the Verification Worksheet.
- After reviewing the documents stated above, often we find the need to request additional information. We regret the need to do this, but sometimes we must do so in order to satisfy the federal requirement to eliminate discrepancies and to ensure the quality of application data.
If your eligible noncitizen status is not confirmed by Immigration & Naturalization (INS), you must submit proof of eligible non-citizenship to the aid office. An Alien Registration Card must be presented for review and a copy will be maintained for your file.
When a decision has been made regarding your eligibility for financial aid, you’ll be notified by mail or e-mail. If required, currently enrolled and new students will accept award offers in BlazerNET.
When you register for classes, you create a financial obligation to the university. An application for financial aid neither eliminates this responsibility nor extends the deadlines established for payment—you’re still responsible for making sure your tuition, fees, and other expenses are paid as required and on time.