Explore UAB


  • How to know when to register for classes

    See the UAB Academic Calendar for general UAB registration open and close dates.

    To determine your specific time for registration:

    • Enter Blazernet
    • Select Registration in the top banner
    • Select "Add, Drop or Withdraw Classes"
    • Your "Time Tickets" will indicate when your registration opens and closes for each semester.

    GBS Registration Deadlines:

    • Fall- July 1
    • Spring- December 1
    • Summer- May 1

    Please note that GBS Registration deadlines are different than UAB registration deadlines.

  • How to know what to register for

    Students may access the Graduation Planning System (GPS), details below, to indicate your required courses each semester. 

  • How to access the Graduation Planning System (GPS)

    The Graduation Planning System (GPS) is UAB's new degree auditing system. The audit will be utilized to approve student degrees upon graduation and track academic requirements throughout the program.

    You can access the Graduation Planning System (GPS) by entering Blazernet and selecting the GPS icon along the right listing of icons. If it is not available there, you can access by selecting “Student” in the top banner then selecting GPS.

  • How to register for classes

    You may search the class schedule here by term.

    To Register:

    • Enter Blazernet
    • Select Registration in the top banner (This section will indicate when your registration will open.)
    • Select "Add, Drop or Withdraw Classes"
    • Select the term
    • Insert the CRN of the course(s) you wish to register for.
    • Select Submit Changes



Finance & Funding

  • How to find research funding opportunities

    Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN) is a database of research funding opportunities that can be used to search and set up email notifications for a wide variety of funding sources.

    For guides and training on how to use SPIN, log into the Integrated Research Administration Portal (IRAP).

  • How to find and get assistance with fellowship and scholarship applications

    The National and International Fellowships and Scholarships office supports all UAB students and recent alumni applying for nationally-competitive fellowships and scholarships. These prestigious awards provide funding for education abroad, research, graduate school, and other academic enrichment opportunities. We support applicants through every stage of the process – from identifying possibilities to crafting a personal statement to preparing for a finalist interview.

  • How to receive an incentive for individual fellowships

    The Graduate School has established an incentive plan designed to encourage more students to apply for individual fellowships. The Graduate School will provide a monetary incentive for students to APPLY FOR individual fellowships funded by extramural agencies or foundations. If a student’s application is funded, the student will receive an additional financial reward.

     Learn about details and eligibility

  • How to receive assistance for training grants

    For information and resources on NIH training grants, including but not limited to T32 and F Awards, visit the following page.

  • How to receive assistance with graduate student travel

    Graduate Student Travel
    Graduate students who are traveling for professional reasons may apply to trips for the purpose of attending a scientific conference or learning new techniques. With appropriate documentation, travel costs can be paid by grant or other sources. The specific documentation required will be determined by the student’s status as a graduate research assistant (GRA) (employee policies apply) or as a trainee/fellow (i.e., funded by a training grant or individual fellowship).

    For information, please visit the Trainee Travel policy.

    International Professional Travel
    All UAB-Related Foreign Travel Requests must be made online through the UAB Forms site. UAB policy requires prior approval through this online request process for all UAB-related foreign travel, including for all students who participate in Study Away programs and/or travel overseas as part of UAB-related activities. 

    Students may direct questions to the Office of Study Away at 205.975.6611 or via email to studyabroad@uab.edu.

    GBSO Travel Award
    An award of up to $400.00 is available for eligible graduate students who are attending an extracurricular academic/professional conference. The award is offered as a supplemental reimbursement to cover expenses related to transportation, lodging, poster printing, andregistration. These awards are not meant to reimburse for required UAB credit generating activities or for activities that are not primarily professional in purpose.

    For more information please visit the GBSO website.

    GSG Travel Grant
    Currently, each graduate student in good academic standing who will be enrolled at the time of travel and at the time of reimbursement is eligible for one Travel Award of $400.00 each academic year and a maximum of two while enrolled at UAB. GSG has three application windows per year corresponding to the semester in which the travel occurs (Fall, Spring, and Summer).

    For more information please visit the GSG website.

  • How to apply for the Graduate Student Emergency Loan Program

    The Graduate Student Emergency Loan Program (GSELP) provides a mechanism to assist graduate students in financial need due to unexpected costs. See details and apply here.

  • How to receive financial counseling

    UAB's Office of Financial Aid provides financial counseling and support for students as it pertains to student loan forgiveness, income based repayment plan, deferment, etc. You may contact the Office of Financial Aid at (205)934-8223 or by email at finaid@uab.edu.

  • How to file taxes

    DISCLAIMER: MSTP cannot provide legal tax advice to students. Students should consult the IRS website or a licensed tax professional for up-to-date tax information and guidelines.

    IRS Resources

    UAB Resources




  • How to apply for parking

    To sign-up for parking, students must have a UAB One Card ID before a parking permit can be purchased. Fees for parking are added to student accounts and must be paid by the deadline to avoid late fees. Students can manage their account via the Parking Portal.

  • How to sign up for health insurance

    Health Insurance for students enrolled in MSTP is mandatory. Single-coverage student health insurance through United HealthCare (UHC) is available at no cost to students. Family coverage is also available at a low cost to the student. Students can sign up for health insurance through their Student Portal located in BlazerNet.

    Students who already have their own personal insurance have the option to waive United HealthCare student coverage. To opt out of United HealthCare, a waiver stating that he/she has major medical insurance that is comparable or superior to the student plan must be signed.

    Additional information can be found here.

  • How to apply for graduation

    The Graduate School has initiated a new application for degree process, entirely online. You may access the application online through Blazernet by selecting "Links/Forms" and selecting "Apply for Graduate Degree/Certificate".

    Students are responsible for verifying that all academic requirements have been met, indicated by the GPS audit. The application for degree will not be approved until all requirements are met.