How does transfer course credit apply to my UAB degree?

We evaluate each course to determine if it can be applied as a direct equivalent, a major/minor elective, a core course, or a general elective. We use catalog course descriptions from your prior college to decide if a course meets UAB course criteria. Your advisor can help explain how the courses will meet your degree requirements.

How are my credits be evaluated, and how is my transfer grade point average (GPA) calculated?

We base the evaluation and awarding of transfer course credit on a review of official transcripts. You are required to submit official transcripts, sent directly to UAB from all postsecondary institutions attended. Students do not retain the right to choose or eliminate certain courses for transfer. All academic transfer work will be posted to the UAB transcript, including courses with final grades of D, F, and WF and any courses in which a student has been granted academic clemency, bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar practice. We do not honor any other institution’s repeat or forgiveness policies.

How long does it take for UAB to evaluate and articulate my transfer course credits?

Typically, we review your transfer coursework within one business day of your admission. Complete course evaluation and articulation can take up to 14 business days if additional information is needed or if your academic department requires a review.

I am considering transferring to UAB. Is there a list of courses from my college that have been evaluated?

Courses that have been evaluated are available through our transfer credit equivalencies database.

I have a course that has been evaluated as a general elective, and I believe it should be evaluated as a UAB course equivalent. What should I do?

To have the course evaluated again, submit a detailed course syllabus from the college/university that you attended, from the term in which you took the course, to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Be sure to include your name, student number, and contact information with the course syllabus.

I have a “UNKN” course listed on my BlazerNET Fact Sheet. What do I need to do?

“UNKN” indicates that the evaluation and articulation are incomplete. If you have been enrolled at UAB for more than one term and a course remains UNKN, contact your academic advisor.

I am an international student and would like for the courses I took at a foreign institution to be evaluated for UAB credit. What do I need to do?

I have been out of college for many years. Can my transfer courses still count toward a UAB degree?

Yes. All previous course work is reviewed for possible UAB credit. If you took the courses more than 10 years ago, then we may have difficulty finding the course catalog. Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for assistance.

uab logo

Undergraduate Admissions