Congratulations on your admission to the University of Alabama at Birmingham! You’re just a few steps away from becoming a Blazer. Complete this checklist to help make your transition smooth and simple.
Not a student admitted in the spring? Go here.
Step 1. Activate your BlazerID
A BlazerID is required to access online orientation, register for classes, manage your financial aid, and much more. In order to establish your BlazerID, you will need your student number, which can be found in your acceptance email.
Create your BlazerID
Step 2. Make a Reservation for Orientation
Blazer Beginnings is a required rite of passage for all new Blazers. During the half-day event, you’ll register for classes, get your ONE Card (UAB ID), learn about support services, meet other new students, and much more. Guests are invited to attend the concurrent Parent and Family Orientation.
Step 3. Apply for or Accept Federal Financial Aid
All it takes is just one form. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.gov. Use Code 001052 to send your application to UAB.
- Summer/fall students: December 1
- Spring students: Not applicable
If you receive a financial aid award, accept or decline the offer at uab.edu/blazernet.
Cost & Aid
Step 4. Take Course Placement Assessments
If you have not already earned a grade of C or better in a college-level math or English course above the remedial level, you are required to take an assessment to determine course placement. Some exceptions apply – see if you meet the exception criteria.
Deadline: Two weeks prior to your Blazer Beginnings orientation session.
Step 5. Submit Immunizations and TB Requirements
You are required to show proof of select immunizations and take a Tuberculosis Screening Questionnaire, both of which will be completed in UAB’s Student Health Services Patient Portal. As an admitted student, you have a Patient Portal profile accessible using your BlazerID credentials.
If you have questions about immunization or TB requirements, message UAB Student Health Services via the Patient Portal.
You are required to show proof of the following immunizations:
- MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella)
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis)
- Meningococcal (meningitis)
- Varicella (chicken pox)
Before getting any new vaccinations, Alabama residents whose primary care physician submitted their immunization record (blue card) to the Alabama state registry may have their immunizations already documented in the Patient Portal. Students entering upper-level courses in the School of Nursing and School of Health Professions may need additional immunizations. Notification of those required immunizations will come from the academic school. More information can be found at uab.edu/newstudentshots.
TB REQUIREMENT: All incoming students are required to complete a TB Screening Questionnaire. Students with any positive responses are then required to complete TB testing — either a TB Skin Test or Blood Test. Some students are required to complete TB testing regardless of their TB screening responses, which will be outlined within the “Immunization Requirements” section of the Patient Portal.
Step 6. Submit Health Insurance
All full-time incoming students must have personal health insurance coverage to enroll at UAB. Students who have personal health insurance coverage can submit a waiver to opt out of being automatically enrolled and charged for UAB’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- Students who have personal health insurance coverage must act by Jan. 1 to avoid a charge to their student account for UAB’s Student Health Insurance Plan. Students whose personal coverage meets required coverage levels should log into UAB’s Student Health Services Patient Portal to submit a waiver form and proof of personal insurance coverage. As an admitted student, you have a Patient Portal profile, which is accessible using your BlazerID credentials. Students who fail to meet the deadline will be automatically enrolled in SHIP, and the premium added to their student account.
- Students who do not have personal health insurance coverage or coverage that meets the required levels will be automatically enrolled in UAB’s Student Health Insurance Plan for coverage. The SHIP premium will be added to your student account, and you will have health insurance coverage while you’re a student at UAB.
If you have questions about health insurance coverage, message UAB Student Health Services via the Patient Portal.Access Patient Portal
Step 7. Submit Your ONE Card Photo
Choose a photo of yourself for your ONE Card—your official student ID—and upload it at least 24 hours before the beginning of your orientation session. Be sure your photo follows the guidelines listed on the submission website. Pick up your new ONE Card at your orientation session.
Step 8. Submit Final Transcripts
If you are currently enrolled in high school or college, you will need to request that a final transcript be sent to UAB.*
* UAB accepts both mailed and electronic transcripts - Mailing Address. Transcripts must be sent directly to UAB from the institution to be considered official. For transcripts sent through a secured transcript service (like Parchment, eScrip, or National Student Clearinghouse), please select University of Alabama at Birmingham from the vendor’s drop-down menu.
Apply for Additional UAB Scholarships
UAB is pleased to offer IB Scholarships, departmental scholarships, performance scholarships and more. Students interested in these scholarships should submit their scholarship application(s) in the Blazer Scholarship Management and Resource Tool (BSMART). Submitting the general application in BSMART submits student information to many departments on campus. Some scholarships may require a supplemental application in addition to the general application. Scholarships in BSMART will open on October 1. Check BSMART for specific scholarship deadlines.
Contact the Office of Admissions
Do you have questions? Does your family have questions? The UAB Office of Undergraduate Admissions—or your admissions counselor—is happy to answer them all.