In-State Residency

Do you think you might meet in-state residency requirements? There are a number of factors that may be considered in determining in-state residency for tuition purposes, and you must be able to clearly prove your residency. Alabama, like other states, restricts resident tuition to persons who have been residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education, and who are able to demonstrate contacts with the State of Alabama indicating intent to remain in this state. Resident tuition status is determined by the University, with regard to Alabama law, and the policies of the Board of Trustees of the University of Alabama.

Application for Residency Reclassification

Applicants who meet one of the following conditions are generally reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes:

  • You are a regular, permanent full-time employee (not temporary) in the state or shall commence said employment not more than ninety (90) days after registration, or are the spouse, or dependent child of such an employee
  • You are a veteran or member of the U.S. Military or Alabama National Guard, or spouse, or dependent child of such a veteran or member, and meet the qualification criteria outlined in Board Rule 202.IV.
  • You are a member, the spouse, or dependent child of a member in the U. S. military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school.
  • You are employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow.
  • You have proof of continuous residence in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education and significant ties to the state for the twelve consecutive months prior to your initial enrollment in an Alabama institution of higher education.

Where do I submit my application?

If you are a ... Submit your application to ... By
Undergraduate student One Stop Student Services or email: August 1 (for Fall semester)
December 1 (for Spring semester)
May 1 (for Summer semester)
Graduate student
(except Nursing)
Graduate School
Nursing Graduate student School of Nursing
Student Affairs
NB 105
Public Health student School of Public Health
Student and Academic Services
RPHB 105
Dental student School of Dentistry
Student Admissions
SDB 125
July 1
Medical student School of Medicine
Student Services
VH 100
As soon as requested, but no later than May 1
Optometry student School of Optometry
Student Affairs
HPB 125
July 1