Frequently Asked Questions

Please review the below frequently asked questions prior to submitting your application for residency reclassification. If appropriate, then proceed to the application at the bottom of this page.

1. Do I meet in-state residency requirements?  There are a number of factors that may be considered in determining in-state residency for tuition purposes, and you must be able to clearly prove your residency before reclassification can be considered.  Alabama restricts resident tuition to persons who came to Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education, and who are able to demonstrate contacts with the State of Alabama that indicate an intent to remain in this state indefinitely.  Resident tuition status is determined by the University, with regard to Alabama law, and the policies of the board of Trustees of the University of Alabama System and the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Applicants who meet one of the following conditions prior to initial enrollment at UAB are generally reclassified as in-state residents for tuition purposes:

  • You are a member, the spouse, and/or minor child of a member in the United States military on full-time active duty, stationed and/or under orders for duties in Alabama.
  • You are a full-time employee (not temporary) in the state or the spouse or minor child of such an employee.
  • You are employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow by the school for which you are registering.  (If approved, this status is applicable only to the period of time of employment at UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow.)

2. How is my residency status determined?
  Initial residency determinations are made at the point of admission to UAB. The determination is based on the information contained in the application for admission, transcripts, and other documents required for admission.  The residency status determined at this time remains in effect through all subsequent registrations at the institution.

3. How is a minor student’s residency status determined?  In Alabama, nineteen (19) is the age of majority.  Persons under the age of nineteen are considered minors under the law.  The residency status for students under nineteen is based upon the domicile of the supporting parent(s) or legal guardian.  If you are 19 years of age or older, you must establish residency based on your own circumstances and not that of your parent(s) or legal guardian.

4. What is the resident status of immigrants and international students?  To be considered for in-state tuition, you must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident alien, or a legal alien granted indefinite stay by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Applicants on student or other temporary Visas are not eligible for instate residency.

5. What effect does property ownership in Alabama have on tuition classification?  Property ownership in Alabama by the student or parent(s) or guardian of a minor student does not, by itself, constitute residency or entitlement to resident tuition.

6. Does living in Alabama with a relative other than parent(s) or legal guardian have any effect on my residency status?
  No.  This would have no influence on residency status. 

7. Does living in the state for a year automatically make me eligible for in-state status?
  No.  You must submit documentation to support that you are residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education.

8. Can I receive in-state status if my spouse is employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow?
  No.  Your spouse’s employment status only allows him / her to receive in-state status for the duration of the assistantship or fellowship.

9. Can I receive in-state status if I am employed by UAB as a graduate assistant or fellow in a school other than the one I’m registering in
?  No.  Your employment status only allows you to receive in-state status for the duration of the assistantship or fellowship in the school for which you are employed.

10. If I no longer live in student housing, am I eligible for in-state status?
  No.  You must prove that you are residing in the state for purposes other than to obtain an education.

11. Except for the past couple of years, I lived in Alabama my entire life.  Shouldn’t I (and/or my children and spouse) still be considered a resident? 
In determining a person’s eligibility for residency, the state guidelines are primarily concerned only with the 12-month period immediately preceding the initial registration.  The cumulative time a person lived in Alabama is not relevant if the person has moved away from Alabama and established residency in another state.

12. How do I apply for reclassification of residency status?
  A non-resident student who believes he or she has satisfied the residency requirement by being in the state primarily for a purpose other than to obtain an education with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely may complete and submit an “Application for Residency Reclassification.”  A change in residency classification is never automatic.  It is always the student’s responsibility to submit the application and supporting documentation.

13. Is there a deadline for submitting the “Application for Residency Reclassification?”
  Yes.  The application and supporting documentation must be submitted by the appropriate deadline outlined on the application.

14.Can I appeal a residency decision?
  Yes.  Decisions made by the residency officer may be appealed in writing by the student to the University Registrar who may, at his or her discretion, convene a review committee composed of appropriate UAB officials.  Student may appeal the Registrar’s decision to the Vice Provost for Administration and Quality Improvement.

15. After reading the residency guidelines, I think I should have been considered a resident months ago.  Can I apply for a prior semester and get a refund if I can document I was a resident then?
 No.  You must submit the application and supporting documentation by the deadline for the semester / term in which you are applying for reclassification.

16. Can I receive in-state status since I have lived in the state during the twelve-month period prior to the date of my initial registration at UAB attending another institution?
  No.   You must submit documentation to support that you have been residing in Alabama for purposes other than to obtain an education. 

17. After earning my undergraduate degree, I plan to immediately attend graduate school and stay indefinitely in the state.  Am I eligible for in-state status? 
Not unless you meet the requirements for residency as outlined on the Application for Residency Reclassification. 

Application for Residency Reclassification