Some courses require you to take a placement test before you can register. Math and English placement are based on a variety of factors. These tests are designed to measure your mastery of a particular subject and can help you and your academic advisor determine which courses offer you the best chance for success.

If you have registered with Disability Support Services you may be eligible to receive certain testing accommodations.

  • English Course Placement

    Students who have not completed English Composition (101) with a grade of C or better must take the English Placement Assessment (EPA).


    • Minimum score of 20 on both the English and Reading sub-scores of the ACT.
    • Minimum Reading test score of 26 on the SAT.
    • Have received transfer credit for EH 101 with a C or better.
    • Have earned college credit for EH 101 based on qualifying AP, IB, AICE, or CLEP scores.

    Test Optional students may use ACT or SAT sub-scores to satisfy requirements. If you did not send scores to UAB and wish to have them utilized for placement purposes, please send your scores to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at least two weeks prior to your Blazer Beginnings session.


    You must complete the English Placement Assessment at least two weeks before you attend Blazer Beginnings, UAB's orientation program. If you submit your assessment later than this two-week window, you run the risk of not having results prior to registering for classes.

    International Students

    International students who have not completed English Composition (101) with a grade of C or better AND have a TOEFL Writing sub-score of 16-22 or an IELTS Writing sub-score of 5.5-6.0 will be placed in English Composition for Second Language Writers (EH 108).

    If your TOEFL Writing sub-score is below 16 or your IELTS Writing sub-score is below 5.5, you will be placed in the requisite course in UAB’s INTO Program.

  • Math Course Placement

    Students who have no math credit or no math credit above the remedial level who wish to register for a math course at UAB must take the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment (MPA).

    • Students must be admitted to the university before they can access the MPA.
    • The MPA is provided at no cost to the student.
    • Students who have no math credit, no math credit above the remedial level, or choose not take the Math Placement Assessment must register for MA 094 (Basic Mathematics) or MA 098 (Basic Algebra).
    • Students awaiting alternative credit score reports (i.e. AP, CLEP, AICE, DSST, etc.) should take the MPA and register for the highest math course in which they placed. Once scores are submitted, students can adjust their registration accordingly. Alternative credit score reports should be sent to UAB as soon as possible.

    Note: Keep in mind that if you do not complete the Math Placement Assessment and are placed in remedial-level math, registration for science courses and timely completion of any science-dependent major will be delayed/impacted.


    1. Effective Summer 2020, First-time freshmen who have an ACT math sub-score of 29 or SAT math score of 680. Students who meet this requirement will automatically place in MA 125 (Calculus I).

    2. Incoming students who have earned college credit for a 100-level, college math course or higher with a grade of “C” or higher (excludes remedial college math and MA 110 – Finite Mathematics*). College credit must be earned from a regionally accredited 2-year or 4-year institution. Examples of 100-level math courses are Intermediate Algebra, Pre-Calculus Algebra, Pre-Calculus Trigonometry, Calculus, Calculus II, etc. If you’re unsure whether you are required to take the MPA, contact your  academic advisor.

    3. Students who have earned credit for MA 110 and do not require any additional math to meet degree requirements, are not required to take the Math Placement Assessment.
      If you think you have a math course that you can transfer to UAB, please check the Transfer Credit Equivalencies Guide.

    4. Students who have earned college credit for math based on having received qualifying APIBAICE, or CLEP scores (excludes MA 180 – Statistics). Review the list of qualifying scores.

  • Foreign Language Course Placement

    If you have never taken a foreign language course, you do not need to take a foreign language placement test. You will begin with a 101 foreign language course.

    It is recommended that you take a foreign language placement test if:

    • You have had one or more years of foreign language in high school (within the last two years)
    • You wish to take courses in French, Spanish, German, and Chinese.

    If you wish to take courses in Arabic, Portuguese, Italian, or Japanese, please contact the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures to ensure appropriate placement.

    If your native language is French, German, or Spanish, you cannot take a beginning course in your foreign language for credit. It is recommended that you take the foreign language placement test to determine the appropriate level course to register for.

uab logo

Undergraduate Admissions