The UAB Educational Foundation exists for the sole purpose of supporting the University of Alabama at Birmingham in its scientific and educational mission.
The Foundation is a separate 501(c)3 and was established in 1965 for the sole benefit of UAB. The various ways in which the Foundation supports the University are:
- Administers discretionary support funds
- Acquires real estate for use by UAB, including a variety of property types (Medical Towers Building, 4th Avenue Parking Deck, the Pita Stop Building, etc)
- Manages the vending contract for the University and Hospital
- Provides support for the Development office, including the administration of the Charitable Gift Annuity Program
- Provides general operational flexibility for the benefit of the University