• How do I change / update my direct deposit information?
    Employees can update their direct deposit information via the Oracle Self Service Applications responsibility.
  • How do I update my Federal and State tax allowances/exemptions?
  • How can I view my payslip? (also, How can I save my payslip into an electronic document?)
  • Where can I pick up my check?

    Payroll checks are available for pick-up in the UAB Administration Building, 1st Floor, Financial Operations Center. Hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You will need to provide photo identification (UAB ID or Driver’s License) to pick up the check.

  • This is my first check, how do I receive it?

    First checks are mailed to address on file. If employee has added direct deposit information, then they receive the payment via direct deposit. Second checks are held in the Financial Affairs operation center located in the second floor of the Administration Building.

  • I am a student and now I am being withheld for Social Security and Medicare. What changed?

    You failed the enrollment verification process. Learn more about the student Fica exception policy.

  • What do I need to know about my education assistance?

    Educational Assistance becomes taxable when the amount of assistance reaches $5,250.00 (per IRS regulations) in a calendar year (resets in January for the next year). The amount over $5,250 is divided over six pay periods for biweekly employees or three months for monthly paid employees.

    The amount is added to your gross income, taxed, and then removed from your net pay. This increases the amount of taxes withheld for the tuition assistance. The amount of Educational Assistance received over the $5,250 amount during a year is reported in Box 14 on your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement. When you file your taxes, you should then be able to report the amount over $5,250 received since you have already been taxed on that amount.

    Once you have exceeded the $5,250 amount, the taxation will begin in the semester in which you go over. Employees receive an email notification to let you know when the amount exceeding $5,250 has been reached.

    Learn more about Educational Assistance Program - HR Policy 319.

  • How can I have an Employment Verification completed?

    Employment and Wage Verifications requests for current and former employees are handled by WAGEverify, an employment and wage verification company that provides immediate access to employment and income data. WAGEverify automates the verification process by instantly and securely delivering employment information that requestors, such as banks or government agencies, rely on to make credit granting or benefit entitlement decision.

    You may log on to WAGEverify.com to view your data. If you have questions about the verification process, please contact HR Records Administration at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. If you have questions concerning the wage data presented, please contact Payroll Services at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

  • How can I change an employee’s timecard in Campus Kronos after signoff?

    You can’t at this time. Any changes after Monday 4:00 p.m. sign off must be made by Reprocessing the employee TEL document.

  • How can I have employee paid a Relocation Allowance? (new process)

    A completed Relocation Allowance Form should be faxed to (205) 975-4739 or emailed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

  • What is the deadline for a particular payroll?

    All Payroll deadlines can be found on our calendar.

  • What is paid on supplemental or “extra” payrolls?

    Late New Hires, late Rehires, Terminal Vacations, and late Nonrecurring elements are processed on Supplemental payrolls. Everything else is processed on regular Biweekly or Monthly payroll dates.

  • If I do a late salary increase, when will the employee receive their retro pay?

    All retro payments caused by late documents are processed on the next regular payroll. They are not processed on Supplemental (Extra) payrolls.

  • Can I cost to a specific account number on a TEL when I reprocess it?

    You cannot cost on a Reprocess TEL document. Once the payment has been processed, the department can do a Reclass to reallocate the funds to the appropriate accounts.

  • What if a department needs to reduce a few days from an Exempt (Salaried/Monthly) employee’s payment one month because they are out of benefit time or are still in their probationary period?

    The form Temporarily Alter Salaried Employee Pay can be completed and emailed to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to adjust an employee’s salary when necessary. The department must notify the employee that the reduction will take place. A copy of the form will be sent to Employee Relations.

    The form cannot be used in lieu of a Leave of Absence. If an employee is out for more than one full pay period (one month), the employee must be placed on Leave of Absence without pay.